Hello All System restore question

Hello All

About a week ago now, I used system restore (cant actually remember why now) but was only restoring from about a week previously so it shouldn't have taken to long.

After nearly four hours nothing had happened . 

I know you are not supposed to interrupt a system restore (all sort's of  dire warnings about rendering you PC unusable etc)

I know that SR can take awhile even from point only a week or so, but four hours ?

I was faced with two options let SR run on for longer (I was getting seriously annoyed now as I had missed my evening flight)or gamble shut down the computer and risk rendering it unusable ( I decided I had had enough of this waiting malarky  and powered down the machine left it for a minute or so and then started it up again, fully expecting that it may not actually work, however much to my relief the PC booted up with no issues at all and couldn't believe my luck.

This unfortunate episode has made me reluctant to ever use SR ever again unless as a desperate last resort for some issue.

I would not like to try my luck interrupting a system restore again while it was running .

Any thoughts as to why this occurred in the first place would be appreciated . 

Thanks    Andrew