Tutorial?

Hello, im a student learning on c152 and am thinking of using an fs to accelerate learning. I am noting that my pc cannot run nsfs2024. Since it seems (?) that ms is the recommended or only choice, ill need to do with 2020 version. Never used an fs before and would appreciate to discover what can be done, is there a c152 model? Does the fs include pedals? Stick? Trimmer? Throttle Etc? My pc has a touchscreen.

Thank for your time and help

• Founder

Welcome to FlightSim.Com!

MSFS 2024 is not even available yet, so no worries there. MSFS 2020 or even earlier versions are just fine.

The Cessna 152 is one of the default aircraft available with MSFS 2020.

Any version will allow you to use a yoke, joystick, pedals, throttle, and a variety of avionics. Your available budget is really the only limit as to how far you want to go towards recreating a real airplane.

Now, all that said, no flight simulator is going to provide a whole lot of help in learning the basics of flight. There really is no replacement for being in an actual plane and feeling and seeing what flight is like.

What you can use the sim for is learning things like procedures and systems. Many sim aircraft are realistic enough that for example the start-up procedure is exactly the same as in the real plane. You can also learn things like how instruments work and how to navigate. If you go on to being an IFR student then the sim becomes a lot more useful as the new things you need to know are more about instruments and procedures and less about how the plane feels.

I'm sure others will chime in with additional opinions. Good luck on your training!

For a beginning flight student and sim student, in the long run, MSFS 2020 or 2024 would most likely be your best choice.

However, FSX/P3D offers many of the same benefits (procedures, instruments, radios) as the newer MSFS versions.

As for the C-152, the standard free version is a capable tool for familiarization and practice.

Just Flight offers a pay for version that is very impressive.

https://www.justflight.com/product/c152

There is also a free version of their C-152 available.

https://www.simshack.net/products/free-cessna-152-fsx-707

As Nels stated, much of your decision will be based upon your personal budget.

No matter which sim version you eventually obtain, don't ever hesitate to ask questions here on FlightSim.com.

There are many experienced sim and real pilots and flight instructors who will be happy to guide you along the way.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• Founder

Very nice. So I see from the registration you are training in Israel. That's going to be an interesting environment to learn in. One of my pilot friends did some flying there on vacation so I've heard a little about it. Not many general aviation airports and various restricted airspaces to deal with.

20 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

For a beginning flight student and sim student, in the long run, MSFS 2020 or 2024 would most likely be your best choice.

However, FSX/P3D offers many of the same benefits (procedures, instruments, radios) as the newer MSFS versions.

As for the C-152, the standard free version is a capable tool for familiarization and practice.

Just Flight offers a pay for version that is very impressive.

https://www.justflight.com/product/c152

There is also a free version of their C-152 available.

https://www.simshack.net/products/free-cessna-152-fsx-707

As Nels stated, much of your decision will be based upon your personal budget.

No matter which sim version you eventually obtain, don't ever hesitate to ask questions here on FlightSim.com.

There are many experienced sim and real pilots and flight instructors who will be happy to guide you along the way.

I installed  the free cessna 152 and it says I need 1st to have a simulator so I started to download fsx demo from https://flyawaysimulation.com/ just to have an idea of what a simulator is. Server's downloads at an old telex speed and it should take 5 hours

There is a lot of "steam" in the simulator world. What is all this steam about?  

• Founder

"Steam" is a company that distributes game and simulation software. I'd guess they are by far the biggest such business in the world.

https://store.steampowered.com/

You will often see reference to the "Steam Edition" of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, aka "FSX" or in this case "FSX: Steam Edition" or "FSX:SE".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

You can also purchase MSFS 2020 from Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_40th_Anniversary_Edition/

Both are currently on sale... given that FSX will cost you all of $4.99 you might want to just buy it instead of bothering with the limited demo.

To the OP - non-professional sims like Microsoft's are IMHO great fun, especially for the non-flying community of aviation enthusiasts. They are NOT much of a substitute for actual time in a real aircraft with an instructor as a means to 'accelerate' learning. You might be better served not spending the monies it would cost to outfit a PC station with a quality yoke, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant etc.etc.etc. to emulate a cockpit. Why not spend the same $$ on a couple more hours in the air at your flight school?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

In the cockpit i may spend time even realizing where is the speed meter is and  that its zero is on the top or that the throttle need to be pushed whereas on my motorcycle i 'pull' to accelerate. I waste time simply because not familiar with object

On 9/16/2024 at 8:23 PM, Nels_Anderson said:

Very nice. So I see from the registration you are training in Israel. That's going to be an interesting environment to learn in. One of my pilot friends did some flying there on vacation so I've heard a little about it. Not many general aviation airports and various restricted airspaces to deal with.

Indeed, in the east west direction it's very narrow, my instructor (female) knows well the limits, from above 

5 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

"Steam" is a company that distributes game and simulation software. I'd guess they are by far the biggest such business in the world.

You will often see reference to the "Steam Edition" of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, aka "FSX" or in this case "FSX: Steam Edition" or "FSX:SE".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_40th_Anniversary_Edition/

Both are currently on sale... given that FSX will cost you all of $4.99 you might want to just buy it instead of bothering with the limited demo.

Thanks! So not related to Ader's steam engin airplane

field_image-3034-p_13560-0001_bi2013_001.jpg

• Founder

No, not related!

I've found the name confusing too. My initial introduction to it was from train simulations, where a steam powered vehicle is quite normal and I thought there was some relationship, when in fact the relationship I imagined did not exist.

Once you realize they are nothing more than an online store that sells software the confusion goes away 🙂

3 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

I've found the name confusing too. My initial introduction to it was from train simulations, where a steam powered vehicle is quite normal and I thought there was some relationship, when in fact the relationship I imagined did not exist.

Steam was created by a company called Valve. Valve releases Steam...

Steam is a totalitarian outfit who have convinced a generation of gamers they are the only source of computer games.  But their draconian demand that you accept installation of several hundred meg of "management software" along with those games has turned many against them;  this software monitors everything on your system and reports back to Steam, it also allows them to "update", add, remove, or move any of their software at their discretion ...without your knowledge, much less permission.  Gaming sites are rife with threads of "what happened to my saves?" or "where are the cfg files?", to which the answer is always, "oh, Steam updated last night, those files were moved to ....".

The fanboys tell you that all this can be disabled.  Really?  If I can truly disable all this, why force me to install it in the first place?  As I wrote them many years ago, "You could offer me your entire catalog for one dollar, but if that entails mandatory installation of anything other than the games themselves, it is 'thanks but no thanks'.  On the other hand, do away with that unnecessary and unwanted software and you could quadruple the price of your games and I would be there, credit card in hand".

Also note that many Steam games do not contain the full original game contents.

But my complaint is less with Steam itself, which I can otherwise ignore, as with those developers who decide to solely release their game via Steam, thus depriving me of the option of where to spend my money.  With anything else I buy, from a hamburger to a new car, I have a choice of where to make the purchase;  but these devs are telling me "if you want my game, buy it from Steam", and I say, "if you want my money, give me an option".

Just my opinion ...and we know what opinions are like.

• Founder

Just a counter-opinion:

I've bought at least half a dozen sims on Steam, for flying, trucking and railroading. It's always been super convenient and has worked flawlessly. Same with all the DLC I've bought from Steam.

You can dislike their business practices all you want, but in my experience their systems works very well technically. I think their success as a vendor says a lot for them too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrzippy said:

Live steam, big steam!

Live steam, Dead steam.

One of the best scenes ever filmed!

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

When I save up enough $$ all I want is the 'original' X-Wing from Lucasarts. I wore that game out with my friends in the 90's!

https://www.gog.com/en/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

4 hours ago, jgf said:

Steam is a totalitarian outfit who have convinced a generation of gamers they are the only source of computer games.  But their draconian demand that you accept installation of several hundred meg of "management software" along with those games has turned many against them;  this software monitors everything on your system and reports back to Steam, it also allows them to "update", add, remove, or move any of their software at their discretion ...without your knowledge, much less permission.  Gaming sites are rife with threads of "what happened to my saves?" or "where are the cfg files?", to which the answer is always, "oh, Steam updated last night, those files were moved to ....".

The fanboys tell you that all this can be disabled.  Really?  If I can truly disable all this, why force me to install it in the first place?  As I wrote them many years ago, "You could offer me your entire catalog for one dollar, but if that entails mandatory installation of anything other than the games themselves, it is 'thanks but no thanks'.  On the other hand, do away with that unnecessary and unwanted software and you could quadruple the price of your games and I would be there, credit card in hand".

Also note that many Steam games do not contain the full original game contents.

But my complaint is less with Steam itself, which I can otherwise ignore, as with those developers who decide to solely release their game via Steam, thus depriving me of the option of where to spend my money.  With anything else I buy, from a hamburger to a new car, I have a choice of where to make the purchase;  but these devs are telling me "if you want my game, buy it from Steam", and I say, "if you want my money, give me an option".

Just my opinion ...and we know what opinions are like.

Thank you, now i hesitate. Should i create a restore point before launching their fsx? Does it uninstalls thoroughly? I dont want to harm my computer as its also my arduino development station

You should have no trouble removing Steam.  In fact many of their games will run normally after uninstalling their "management software", and  I've never heard of their software interfering with anything else on a system.    But I find their business paradigm so execrable that they will never get a penny from me.

12 hours ago, mrzippy said:

This is a "steam valve" tutorial:  Live steam, big steam!

Yes, very funny. Also funny to note that its only few years since our cars are stopping using steam which is one manifestation of thermic engine

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, Nels_Anderson said:

I made a monthly subscription to flyway at 4.99/month but cannot find the non demo fsx. Maybe I should have looked for it at another shop?

btw, I find their site profoundly tiring

12 minutes ago, g2c said:

I made a monthly subscription to flyway at 4.99/month but cannot find the non demo fsx. Maybe I should have looked for it at another shop?

btw, I find their site profoundly tiring

The only place to buy a new copy of FSX is through Steam at the link Nels provided above.