Looking at PCs to run MFS 2020

I've been away from flight simulation for quite a while and am thinking of getting back into it. I'll need a new computer and have been poking around online. Some of the gaming PCs that meet or exceed the recommended specs seem way less expensive than I was expecting, so I thought it would be best to seek opinions. Is something like this adequate for running this sim...

amazon.com/STGAubron-Desktop-GeForce-GTX1660Ti-Keybaord/dp/B0BNC2LS41/ref=sr_1_31?crid=16APPXGPTEZCM&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9._SqmG6RWiGGT5EUq307EB4SRf2FIb1MTM9TVnZL3d2N-DFTEMJf55iDgcAUnL-ErwpyEyY8Ob4GpfC5bxKKDAl_jkvrNc_B9QShfUI-wVecor9l6vlO4iGO5NbE2MuNodgERFjGjNqD9cqTLQl9pWIV0bCbrL4IOMG5suZZeL6Q.653ZwnClodSCwYbY_m3KzlkAsspwCYVa782OiUQIQaA&dib_tag=se&keywords=gaming+pc+desktop&qid=1725339458&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty-three_browse-bin%3A13580788011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011&rnid=676578011&s=electronics&sprefix=gaming+pc%2Caps%2C173&sr=1-31

I'm not decided on this specific unit, but there are lots of others with similar specs. This is one of the cheapest I've seen so far. Thanks for the assistance.

If the listing is accurate, it has a very old Intel CPU in it (i7 3770). Not a computer I would buy for MSFS.

Are you in the US? What's your budget? What monitor will you be using? Multiple monitors?

Is there a Micro Center near you? Something like the following would be better than a random PC off Amazon. $1,000 is pushing it a bit unless you can find something on sale.

ASUS ROG Strix G15DK-MH764Ti Gaming PC; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4 - Micro Center

What resolution is the monitor? I ask because if it's a 4k monitor, a more powerful GPU is required compared to a 1080p or 1440p model.

Appreciate the suggestion. No Micro Centers around here, but that ASUS looks pretty typical of what I've been seeing elsewhere.  Can't remember the resolution of the monitor...it's currently sitting in the garage. 😐 It's not super high resolution. I hear what you're saying about "random PC off Amazon"...been buying and using personal computers for over 40 years now and consider them about as special as toasters or microwaves. 🙂 That said, if I can find a brand name in the price range I'm looking at, I'll probably go with that. 

30 minutes ago, Sidney Schwartz said:

It's not super high resolution. I hear what you're saying about "random PC off Amazon"...been buying and using personal computers for over 40 years now and consider them about as special as toasters or microwaves.

While they may not be particularly special, you do need to watch the specs. As the first one you linked shows, they will play games such ass using a several years old CPU to keep the cost down, and not make it very obvious.

24 minutes ago, Sidney Schwartz said:

Just saw this...

Dell Vostro

I'd probably get an additional 2T drive for it.

That Vostro isn't suitable either. Nvidia's Quadro GPUs are aimed at professional graphics use, not gaming/simming. The amount of VRAM on this system is also quite low at 4GB, where 8GB+ would be much better. With Dell, you would want to look at their XPS or Alienware lines.

I've rolled my own in the past. I could again if I have to, but I'd rather be able to buy something off the shelf. (I'm old and cranky.) I'm not looking for the ultimate system. I ran various versions of MSFS and X-plane for many years and was not frame rate obsessed...if it doesn't stutter I'm happy. In the past I had boatloads of add-ons (wx, traffic, maps, atc, whatever), but this time around I want to keep it simpler. I've been watching videos of 2020 and it looks like the built-in stuff will be enough. 

How's this...?

Dell XPS

I'm glad I asked for advice...I'm learning some good stuff. Keep it coming.

Another topic that has been beat to death.

Based on MS sites, the minimum and recommended requirements for MSFS2020 are:

Minimum:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Processor: Intel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570

DirectX: Version 11

Storage: 150 GB available space

Recommended:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Processor: Intel i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 | AMD Radeon RX 590

DirectX: Version 11

Storage: 150 GB available space

Based on these requirements, a simple web search yielded dozens of laptops from the major manufacturers starting as low as $399 that would fit the bill.

All one can offer here is their opinion based on their experience, finances and perceived value.

If I were to offer a suggestion for a computer, and  you bought that machine and were not satisfied, you might then blame me for you problems (yes, we have seen that occur in these threads).

So do a good due diligence, look at the various options on line, and make your decision to meet your needs,

And yes, all this is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

One issue with a laptop for such applications is that the hardware and OS is perfectly capable of running the program but is the laptop itself capable of dissipating the heat from running that program?  (My last laptop sat on a couple of wooden rails holding it far enough off the desk I could slide a 6" fan from an old PS under it to blow more air directly into the vent.)

I think something like this would do very nicely indeed: https://starforgesystems.com/products/horizon-ii-pc. That system exceeds my own, and I'm decently happy playing at 1080p ultrawide at mostly high-ultra settings

Starforge seems to be one of the few non-scummy system builders out there, based on reviewes from outlets like Gamer's Nexus.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 32 GB 3600 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700XT , 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

3 hours ago, jgf said:

is the laptop itself capable of dissipating the heat from running that program?

I have never had a heat issue with any laptop, even when simultaneously running FS(yes X), Word, Excel, two separate virtual worlds (open sim), and MS Teams, popping between windows for online training. And that is without any additional fans or heat relieving positioning.

So, my opinion only, is that a laptop is more than acceptable.

Should "gaming capability: be a concern, then all the major manufacturers produce many wonderful (under $1000) gaming laptops.

One may have to look on the manufacturer's site for offers (HP, for example) runs weekly specials, often at 50-80% below price for new laptops and desk top computers.

And. at least for me, the ability to "fly" from an easy chair or at my cockpit set up is a major plus.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

35 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

So, my opinion only, is that a laptop is more than acceptable.

A well designed laptop can certainly run games and sims well these days, though I would be leery about using FSX as a benchmark when looking at a laptop for MSFS 2020. The latest sim will push both the CPU and GPU, unlike FSX, which will generate more heat. Cheaper gaming laptops have a history of failing after prolonged use as the heat eventually does cause issues, or things like the hinge or ports fail. If going for a laptop, I would make sure it had a good warranty/support plan.

The advantage with a desktop is you get more bang for your buck when it comes to performance. That Starforge system linked above looks like a good option.

15 minutes ago, loki said:

I would be leery about using FSX as a benchmark when looking at a laptop for MSFS 2020.

I was not using it as a benchmark, just stating that I can have several high CPU and GPU usage programs running simultaneously with no issues.

If you have not done any virtual worlds (opens sim or others) these do take a lot of resources to run.

16 minutes ago, loki said:

The advantage with a desktop is you get more bang for your buck when it comes to performance.

No doubt. But as I said, "my" preference is to be able to sit in an easy chair away from my desk/flight sim peripherals, should I wish to do so.

You and others do not mind a fixed place to work/game from.

Just stating again that a laptop these days can clearly handle anything MS sends its way. especially if having the preferred specs or better.

phrog x 2.jpg