FSX keyboard control help

zmn1268

Hi!

I was looking all over for help online. Could not find any. I hope someone will be able to help me.

I started using FSX recently (time for a change finally) and I'd like to use the same control on keyboard for eye view spot plane and changing it. In FS9 it worked perfectly. Not so much in FSX. Maybe one assignment works from the list. Otherwise I have to use SPACE+mouse. I hate it! When I went into settings->controls->buttons/keys under the controller type I don't even see the keyboard listed. Only mouse yoke and mouse look. This is the reason why many commands on my keyboard doesn't work? I did what I could with USB connection, keyboard settings still no any change. Any help with that? I do appreciate any help!!!!

Thank you!

Rom

Thank you for your reply. Problem is that I have all commands listed in help section etc from default set up but for the view-spot plane with changing eye view only one command works using keyboard. I did not try to create any new command or even delete existing ones. It is so confusing as I am trying to use keyboard to switch viewing my plane as spot plane view is my favorite! Using SPACE+Mouse is irritating for me.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. No not this one keyboard. Higher under controller type. I have only mouse yoke and mouse look listed. And from this list of commands under the views using keyboard only one command works.

Go to Menu (press 'Alt' key), then 'Settings/Controls' to go see this window. Here (keyboard) is where you change the assignments. Pressing 'Restore Default' gives you a 'clean slate'. Then you scroll down to see the 'EVENT' (ie: view, throttle, etc). Click on the 'EVENT', then click 'Change' (or 'New Assignment') and press the key(s) you want to 'represent' that 'event'. Done.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Download the FSX Command List, by 'RadarMan', 'fsxkypml.zip', 2,321 kb. It prints out on one page. Very nice to have, as you find out, VERY important info. You have to be 'cool' - take an hour or two and play with the 'settings-controls' assignments. You may even get to like this activity. I do.

FSX_Command Menu.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thank you. I did all what you told me and still no change. So let me start from the scratch. My keyboard for everyday use works just fine. It is FSX only that some problems shows up. Numerical buttons works fine with changing view in cockpit mode but they do not work for flying the plane..ailerons..trim etc. (I always use only keyboard to fly planes since I started Sim flying). For changing eye point in spot plane mode right left or down or up I use combination of buttons listed for FSX in help or kneeboard section for example: CTRL-SHIFT-Backspace for Eyepoint left. And those commands do not work! none of listed in commands list for changing eyepoint view. (BTW spot plane mode when flying and changing eyepoint around a plane is my favorite way of flying). So now I'm confused why FSX does not accepts those few keyboards commands??? Is it some computer or FSX configuration problem? I looked into that..reinstallation..all usuall steps. Still doesn't work and I have no idea why. I'm sorry I hope I made myself clear to what is my keyboard problem with FSX..and maybe there is help available! Thank you very much for all your posts already!!!!

I'm going to select something (slightly) more radical.

The commands are stored in what I call "a fsx system file"

(so not in the folder ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\...)

You'lll make a backup of the file, simply by renaming it.

(fsx looks for the specific filename, so the backup-changed-filename will be ignored. But it's there for you as a backup, just in case.

OK, in steps:

The file you need to get at is a 'hidden file', so:

-- Set windows to 'show hidden files' ---

In windows(7), open a file-explorer window.

click 'organise' at the top left.

click 'folder and search options'.

click the 'folder options' Tab.

put a check mark in 'show hidden folders and files'.

click 'apply', then click 'ok'.

(warning, some hidden folders are hidden for a reason, you should not remove those, or your OS may stop working or windows won't boot. so with this selected, be extra careful about what you delete!)

---- Ok. now all good. Now what file to find ----

Make sure FSX is Not Running.

locate the file:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.XML

rename the file 'Standard.XML" to

Standard-150516.XML

(todays date:) ) (any name would be ok of course)

Start FSX.

fsx will create a fresh file "Standard.XML" on startup in that same folder.

You will get a popup when fsx starts askin to "accept default key mappings". --click ok to that.

Should be hunkydoory:)

--------------------------------

If something goes wrong, still no controll, (and after shutting down fsx there is still no new Standard.XML file, you can always rename the file Standard-150516.XML back to Standard.XML to undo it and get back to your current situation.

enjoy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok. Here goes. A pic is worth 1,000 words. If this don't do it then it's your keyboard and you should get a new one. Especially if it's 'old' and not USB.

Chuck B

Napamule

FSX Commands_Step1.jpg

FSX Commands_Step2.jpg

FSX Commands_Step3.jpg

FSX Commands_Step4.jpg

FSX Commands_Step5.jpg

FSX Commands_Step6.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived