Majestic Q400 for Xmas -- Wow!

dnpaul

This is an amazing plane. I've planted it a couple of times now, but just completed my first flight. It was sketchy there at the end, but I got her down safely!

It is my first payware turboprop, so it is a challenge. It is very unforgiving if you mess something up.

I bought it from Simmarket for 49.95 EU, and with the favorable ROE with the dollar, it was only $56 and change. It is a great value for the money.

Anyone have any helpful hints, tricks, caveats that you could share? I've spent some time in the Majestic forum and picked up some good stuff there. :)

I second Haskell on the use of rudder! This is not your typical jetliner where you control the plane with the yoke only! :D I personally use 16% R rudder and 2% R aileron on takeoff, 4-8% R Rud 0% aileron in cruise, but I haven't read the flight manual in detail yet so the actual values are probably slightly different. Remember, yaw into the direction of lean to compensate!

Enjoy your latest addition to the fleet dnpaul! I'm sure you'll love this plane more the longer you fly it!

Reminds me of my flight instructor during primary flight training:

Am-I-The-Only-One-Around-Here.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

LOL!

Yeah, I was wondering why I was cruising with a slight lean to the right.

Did you guys ever have any success with the "Sample Flight"? I am having issues with it. First, the airway v98 that you are supposed to use doesn't seem to be in the FMC (I think it has been decommissioned in the real world, so that is something I worked by just putting in the waypoints.)

The other thing is it says that "shortly after passing HABBS, the FMC will switch to approach mode and VNAV will disconnect." The manual also states that the approach (already armed and tuned by me) will activate automatically as long as the "No Link" has been cleared between the STAR and the approach fix. This never happens for me. The FMC goes to Terminal mode after HABBS, but never activates the approach.

Not a huge deal, I can activate the approach manually then switch everything over to initiate the ILS capture, but I wouldn't mind seeing it work as described at least once.

Also, when descending without VNAV, is it preferred to use VS and adjust power for speed, or do you use IAS mode to descend and adjust power to change rate of descent?

Thanks!

You all egged me on: D/L the Q400 Pro this morning after many months of pondering - started her up but have not flown yet - looks and sounds amazing - going to watch the long video later. Thanks guys, but shhhh - don't tell my wife I just plunked down 90 bucks!

Hi Folks,

This is definitely on my short list - question do I really need the "pro" version ? I'm not interested in circuit breakers, failures, or multi crew experiences... The one thing I read on the web site - is there was something mentioning much better performance in the "Pro" version... Is that substantiated - there is better performance or an improved flight model ?

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

This add (not-pro one) does not effect performance, so this is out of question.

It is a beast to fly by hands (climb/approach), besides the rudder issue this plane has a horrible habit changing directions left/right/up/down jumping all over the skies and it feels like you're flying thru a hurricane. I was not able to find a way to "calm down" the flight dynamics so doesn't behave like a wild horse. Understand the developer had intentions to make it realistic but this is a sim, these attempts do not end up realistic anyway because real pilots do not experience this hurricane behavior, it is exaggerated. Can this effect can be controlled/disabled in the Pro version?

This add (not-pro one) does not effect performance, so this is out of question.

It is a beast to fly by hands (climb/approach), besides the rudder issue this plane has a horrible habit changing directions left/right/up/down jumping all over the skies and it feels like you're flying thru a hurricane. I was not able to find a way to "calm down" the flight dynamics so doesn't behave like a wild horse. Understand the developer had intentions to make it realistic but this is a sim, these attempts do not end up realistic anyway because real pilots do not experience this hurricane behavior, it is exaggerated. Can this effect can be controlled/disabled in the Pro version?

I have experienced some rough weather the last few days that has had me flopping around pretty good a few times, but not as bad as what you describe. I flew as a passenger on a Q400 in the UK just once, and it was a very smooth ride.

Have you posted on the Majestic forum about this issue?

Man, the more time I spend with this bird, the more I enjoy it. A real fun change of pace from jetliners. It reminds me a little of the BAe 146/RJ from QW, in terms of how it flies and handles. I've had some really smooth, near-perfect landings my last few flights. The FMS is pretty slick once you get the hang of it. A bit of a departure from the boeings, but really just a slightly different way of doing the same things.

Does anyone who owns this plane also own the PMDG J41? I'm thinking about picking that one up, now that I have a better understanding of how to fly a turboprop liner. :cool:

I agree with Scott in that I'm not interested in realistic circuit breaker simulation and such. However, the pro version has an HUD (I love HUDs) and some other sound options that I might be interested in. However, at this point I don't think pitching in another $30-40 for these features is worth it for me personally.

As for handling characteristics, I also find the Dash 8 quite sensitive to control inputs and its stability is quite divergent ... when it's out of trim. As long as I trim it properly, she flies beautifully. This is what trim is for - especially for a large, long airplane with skinny, small wings and huge composite propellers spinning at 2000rpm on each wing. Another thing to keep in mind is that Samdim (aka Majestic) decided to use external flight dynamics that technically "slews" the airplane in realtime as you fly it, so the plane definitely doesn't feel like any other plane that uses the stock FS flight dynamics system.

Does anyone who owns this plane also own the PMDG J41?

I have the J41 :) She's also a fun one to fly. A considerably smaller turboprop than the 400, the 41's a little more nimble and honestly a lot easier to handle. The main learning curve, IMO, comes from the Collins Global FMS. The FMS in the 41 is quite not-so-user-friendly as it's from an older generation of aircraft computers, but to me it's this challenge that I love about this plane.

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

Good to know. I think that's the same FMS that is used in the BAe-146, the GNS-XLS. If so, I am familiar with it, with the Quality Wings simulation. It is pretty hokey. I dig it, though. I'm into the old school analog planes more than the flying computers. I love 'em all, but my all time favorite payware is the CaptainSim 727.

Pro = HUD and 125Hz control option. Performance is identical to the Pilot version, but it has an incredibly low fps impact on the sim, thanks to that external FDE - although you can bugger that up very easily with an unsuitably tweaked FSX .cfg, particularly the affinity mask. I run the Pro version in P3D. It is that good.

And do not try to shortcut the system by NOT reading the fine manuals. There are major hideaway items that will ruin your flight and probably lead to crashing the aircraft if you don't. It doesn't suffer fools gladly in the real world, so the sim doesn't either.

The HUD would be pretty nice to have, as would the ability to save panel states. But I can't justify 40 bucks for those items. The Aerosoft Airbus bundle is on sale for $37 or so right now. I'd rather spend the money on that than on the Pro version of the Q400.

As a matter of fact I'm going to do that right now!

I have experienced some rough weather the last few days that has had me flopping around pretty good a few times, but not as bad as what you describe. I flew as a passenger on a Q400 in the UK just once, and it was a very smooth ride.

Have you posted on the Majestic forum about this issue?

No, can't register there. I think their registration system doesn't accept my email provider - netscape. And I doubt the reason is bad weather, it seems to over react to any weather even with ASN off.

Very beasty plane, do not like "external dynamics" with all its reinvented bicycle idea (not sure if "wild horse" behavior is owned to that or not). I like PMDG J41 way more and I fly all pmdg models 75% of total add ons time. J-41 is like a small NGX - solid like a tank. FMS has much less functions than Dash 8 so I'm surprised people here see it as a problem (though I had problems with it at the start, I was taught to use it on their forums). Yes QW 146 has the same one although QW is an inferior product. There's no VNAV guidance with J-41 but the FMS calculated the altitudes for descend, I have FMS up on a separate monitor and manage descends manually based on the altitudes I see. Not giving up Majestic although I don't enjoy it as much as PMDG. I force myself to fly it believing sooner or later I'll get used to it and perhaps get to love it at last )))

• 2 weeks later...
I had a year-old version, updated to 1.016 and it is a dream.

A year ago however everyone must have had experienced the same problem, though it's no longer relevant. I love it the way it is now.

Only if you have ALSO added the beta P3D gauges. And for that you have to be registered on the Majestic forums.

Latest is beta 2 that adds 3.1 compatibility to the existing 3.0.

Only if you have ALSO added the beta P3D gauges. And for that you have to be registered on the Majestic forums.

Latest is beta 2 that adds 3.1 compatibility to the existing 3.0.

I will register tomorrow with my office email account, my previous attempts at registering failed because I use netscape for home email, this is why I fell behind with it.

I flew it yesterday evening EGCC to EDLL, great experience I liked it. Would want to fly it again tonight but today I planned to fly Bus-X Delta A319.

Archived